The Racha Islands, also known as Koh Racha Yai and Koh Racha Noi, are two small islands located about 20 kilometers south of Phuket, Thailand. These islands are known for their crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches, making them a popular destination for snorkeling and diving.
Koh Racha Yai is the larger of the two islands and is home to several small resorts, restaurants, and beach bars. It is known for its beautiful beaches, including Ao Tawan Tok (also known as Sunset Beach) and Ao Siam, which are popular for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling. Koh Racha Noi is the smaller island and is known for its rugged coastline, hidden coves, and diving spots.
Both islands offer a variety of activities for visitors, including snorkeling, diving, sunbathing, and beach relaxation. They are also popular for day trips from Phuket, as they are easily accessible by ferry or speedboat from Chalong Pier in Phuket. It is recommended to book your transportation in advance, especially during high season, as tickets can sell out quickly. It is also advisable to arrive at the ferry terminal or pier well in advance, at least an hour or two before your scheduled departure during high season and 30 minutes before your departure time during low season.
Accommodation in Racha Island
Racha Island is a beautiful place to visit, with crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, and stunning natural scenery. There are several accommodation options available on the island, including resorts, hotels, and villas. Many of the accommodation options offer sea views and are located close to the beach, making it easy for visitors to enjoy the island’s natural beauty. Some popular accommodation options on Racha Island include:
- Racha Island Resort & Spa: This luxury resort offers a range of accommodations, including villas and bungalows, as well as a spa, restaurant, and outdoor pool.
- The Racha: This upscale hotel is located on the beach and offers a range of rooms and suites, as well as a restaurant and pool.
- Racha Yai Island Beach Bungalows: These beachfront bungalows offer a rustic, tropical atmosphere, with thatched roofs and bamboo walls. They are located on a private beach and offer a range of amenities, including a restaurant and bar.
There are also several smaller guesthouses and hostels available on the island, offering more budget-friendly accommodation options.
What to do in Racha Island
Racha Island is a beautiful tropical island located off the coast of Thailand. It is known for its crystal clear waters, white sandy beaches, and lush green forests. There are many activities you can do while on Racha Island, including:
- Snorkeling: The waters around Racha Island are home to a wide variety of marine life, including colorful coral reefs and a variety of fish. Snorkeling is a great way to explore the underwater world and see all the amazing creatures that live there.
- Diving: Racha Island is also a popular diving destination, with several dive sites located around the island. Divers can explore the colorful coral reefs, sunken shipwrecks, and even see some larger marine life such as manta rays and whale sharks.
- Beaching: The beaches on Racha Island are some of the most beautiful in Thailand, with crystal clear waters and white sandy shores. You can relax on the beach, go for a swim, or try your hand at beach activities such as stand-up paddleboarding or kayaking.
- Hiking: Racha Island is home to several beautiful hiking trails that wind through the island’s lush forests and offer panoramic views of the surrounding waters. These trails are a great way to explore the island’s natural beauty and get some exercise.
- Sightseeing: There are several interesting sites to see on Racha Island, including temples, Buddhist shrines, and local villages. You can take a tour of the island and learn more about the history and culture of the local people.
- Relaxing: Racha Island is a great place to relax and unwind. You can spend your days lounging on the beach, getting massages, and enjoying the laid-back atmosphere of the island.
How to get to Racha Island
To summarize, there are several options for getting to Racha Island (also known as Koh Racha Yai) from Phuket:
- Take a ferry from Chalong Pier, which takes about one hour.
- Take a ferry from Ao Makham Pier, which takes about 45 minutes.
- Book a tour that includes round-trip transportation, snorkeling gear, and lunch. These tours are convenient and depart from Phuket.
- Take a speedboat from Chalong Pier, which takes about 30 minutes.
- If you are staying at The Racha Resort, the transfer to the island will be included in your booking.