Rawai Beach is a long, narrow beach located on the southern end of Phuket, Thailand. It is known for its beautiful turquoise waters and picturesque views of the surrounding islands, as well as its relaxed and peaceful atmosphere. While it may not be the best place for swimming due to the shallow waters and the presence of boats, it is a great spot for enjoying the beach and soaking up the sun.
Rawai Beach is located at the southernmost tip of Phuket and is surrounded by tall trees providing shade. Just west of Rawai is Promthep Cape (Laem Promthep), a small peninsula offering breathtaking views of the Andaman Sea. Rawai Beach is popular with locals and expats who come to enjoy seafood and the stunning views of the surrounding islands.
In the days before Phuket became a popular holiday destination, Rawai Beach was a popular spot for locals from Phuket Town to enjoy the seaside. Today, the beach itself is not as nice as some others due to the presence of anchored boats, but it is safe to swim all year round due to its position facing Phang Nga Bay.
At the eastern end of the beach is a sea-gypsy village with a small fish market, where you can also find local handicrafts and Thai snacks. The nearby viewpoint at Laem Phrom Thep, the southernmost tip of the island, is especially popular at sunset.
Accommodation in Rawai Beach
Rawai Beach offers a range of accommodation options for travelers, including:
- Resorts: There are several resorts located along Rawai Beach, offering a range of amenities such as pools, restaurants, and spa facilities.
- Villas: There are also a number of villas available for rent in the area, providing a more private and luxurious vacation experience.
- Guesthouses: For budget-conscious travelers, there are several guesthouses in the area that offer affordable accommodation options.
- Apartments: There are also a number of apartments available for rent in the area, providing a more self-catering and independent vacation experience.
Overall, Rawai Beach offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences, from luxurious resorts to more budget-friendly guesthouses and apartments.
Activities in Rawai Beach
Rawai Beach offers a variety of activities for travelers to enjoy, including:
- Beach activities: Despite the rocky shoreline, Rawai Beach is still a great place to relax on the sand and enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding islands.
- Sightseeing: The nearby Promthep Cape (Laem Promthep) offers an excellent viewpoint over the Andaman Sea, and is particularly popular at sunset.
- Seafood dining: Rawai Beach is known for its seafood, with a number of restaurants and stalls along the beach offering a range of fresh seafood dishes.
- Shopping: There are souvenir shops and local markets in the area that offer handmade products, clothing, and accessories.
- Excursions: There are a number of excursions available from Rawai Beach, including boat trips to nearby islands and wildlife watching.
- Fishing and diving: Rawai is a popular place to charter boats for fishing and diving trips, as well as for visits to nearby islands such as Koh Lon, Koh Kaew, Koh Aeo, Coral Island, and Koh Racha. There is also good snorkelling and diving around Laem Phrom Thep, which is a short boat ride away.
- Seashell collecting: At low tide, collectors often come to Rawai Beach to search for seashells.
Overall, Rawai Beach offers a range of activities for travelers to enjoy, including beach relaxation, seafood dining, sightseeing, shopping, and excursions.
Dining in Rawai Beach
Rawai Beach, located on the southern tip of Phuket Island in Thailand, is a popular vacation destination known for its beautiful beaches and crystal-clear waters. The area offers a variety of dining options, including hotel-owned restaurants, standalone eateries, and food stalls. Must-try dishes at these establishments include sticky rice, barbecued chicken and fish, and grilled crab. You can also enjoy a drink at one of the many bars lining the beachfront, which offer great views of the southern islands of Koh Bon and Koh Racha.
If you’re looking for a luxurious dining experience, head towards Chalong to find the Evason Phuket Resort. This resort offers several fine-dining options to choose from. Alternatively, you can spend a relaxing afternoon at Friendship Beach, a popular resort that features an onsite pool.
In addition to Thai cuisine, Rawai Beach offers a range of international options, including seafood, Italian, and more. Some recommended restaurants in the area include the Banana Leaf Restaurant, which serves authentic Thai dishes, and Laem Ka Beach Seafood Restaurant, which specializes in grilled prawns, squid, and fish. Chaba Restaurant offers a mix of Thai and Western dishes, including pizzas and pastas, while the Rawai Beach Seafood Market is a great place to try a variety of fresh seafood options. If you’re in the mood for Italian food, check out Sam’s Italian, which serves a variety of dishes such as pizzas and pastas.
No matter what type of food you’re in the mood for, you’ll find something to suit your taste in Rawai Beach.
Nightlife in Rawai Beach
Rawai Beach is known for excellent dining and nightlife options. The nightlife scene in Rawai Beach is a mix of laid-back beach bars and more lively pubs and clubs. There are also karaoke bars and night markets to enjoy.
If you’re looking to relax with a drink and enjoy the sunset, head to one of the beach bars in Rawai Beach. These venues often have live music or DJs, and offer a laid-back atmosphere. If you’re in the mood for a more lively experience, check out one of the pubs or clubs in the area. These venues often have live music or DJs, and are popular with tourists and locals alike.
Karaoke bars are a popular nightlife option in Thailand, and you’ll find a few in Rawai Beach. These venues offer private rooms where you can sing your favorite songs with friends. Alternatively, you can visit one of the night markets in Rawai Beach, which offer a variety of food and shopping options. These markets are a great place to grab a bite to eat and experience the local culture.
Shopping in Rawai Beach
Rawai Beach is a popular vacation destination located on the southern tip of Phuket Island in Thailand. While the area may not have the extensive shopping opportunities of some of the more touristy areas of Phuket, there are still plenty of options for shopping in Rawai Beach.
One option is to visit the local supermarket near Rawai Beach, which offers fresh produce at affordable prices. Souvenir shops can also be found at many of the landmarks in Rawai, and some of the quirky museums in the area have onsite shops selling handicrafts made from natural materials, particularly Andaman shells.
In addition to these options, you can browse the street vendors in Rawai Beach, which sell a variety of items including clothing, souvenirs, and local crafts. Art galleries in the area also showcase the work of local artists and offer a range of art styles and mediums.
Overall, while Rawai Beach may not have the extensive shopping opportunities of some other areas in Phuket, it still offers a variety of options for those looking to do some shopping while visiting the area.
Rawai Beach Map
Load this map on your phone ▷ Rawai Beach Map